english scholarship information
Description: Scholarships of $2,500 are available for up to five incoming students majoring in English (Literature or Writing) or English Education, renewable for up to four years for students who continue to meet specified criteria, in addition to any other scholarships for which students may be eligible.
Selection Process: To be eligible, a prospective student must do the following:
1. File an Application for Admission with Huntington University with a declared intent to major in English or English Education as a primary area of interest. The application form may be completed online and also requires the submission of a $20 application fee, a high school transcript, and ACT or SAT test scores (often included on the transcript). All application materials including transcripts and test scores must be received by February 1.
2. Complete the English Scholarship Application form online by clicking here. The form must be received by February 1 and should include an original piece of writing: poetry, fiction, creative nonfiction, or research-based.
3. Must visit campus and meet with faculty from English Department. Preference for visit being the spring English Visit Day on February 6, 2014. If unable to make the visit day, and individual visit including a meeting time with an English faculty member will be considered.
For students who have met the criteria above, the selection committee will also consider factors including the completed application form below, SAT or ACT scores, high school GPA, high school courses completed, and the submitted piece of original writing.
Notification Timelines: Scholarship recipients will be notified of the award typically during the first week of February.
Criteria for Scholarship Renewal: Any student chosen as a scholarship recipient must meet the following criteria in order to continue receiving the award each semester:
1. Be enrolled as a full-time student at Huntington University.
2. Declare a major in English or English Education upon initial registration and continue actively pursuing one of these declared majors, as evidenced by the courses of study.
3. Maintain a cumulative Huntington University GPA of at least 3.0.
4. Complete the degree in ten semesters or fewer. Ordinarily, students will be expected to complete the degree within eight semesters, but a change from English to English Education, illness during a semester, or other extenuating circumstances may warrant aid beyond the eight semesters, provided that the student is also making appropriate progress toward the degree.