natural & mathematical sciences scholarship information
Description: Scholarships of $2500 are available on a competitive basis for selected students majoring in biology, chemistry, computer science, mathematics, or entering the pre-pharmacy track, renewable for up to four years for students who continue to meet specified criteria, in addition to any other scholarships for which students may be eligible.
Selection Process: To be eligible, a prospective student must do the following:
1. File an Application for Admission with Huntington University with a declared intent to major in biology, chemistry, computer science, mathematics, or entering the pre-pharmacy track as a primary area of interest. The application form may be completed online and also requires the submission of a $20 application fee, a high school transcript, and ACT or SAT test scores (often included on the transcript). All application materials including transcripts and test scores must be received by February 1. Please note that the $20 application fee will be waived for students who have both applied and visited campus by December 1.
2. Complete the Natural and Mathematical Sciences Scholarship Application form online by clicking here. The form must be received by February 1.
3. Attend a Math/Science/Computer Science Visit Day during the senior year of high school (or year prior to starting at Huntington):
September 27, 2013 Math/Science/Computer Science Visit Day (especially for seniors but open to juniors)
February 7, 2014 Math/Science/Computer Science Visit Day (for juniors or seniors)
Attendance at a Visit Day is highly recommended in order to converse with the most faculty and students in the major and to get the best overview of the area(s) of interest. However, an individual visit to campus may substitute if the Visit Day presents a scheduling conflict for the applicant, or if the applicant had attended a Math/Science/CS Visit Day during the previous year.
For students who have met the criteria above, the selection committee will also consider factors including the completed application form below, SAT or ACT scores, high school GPA, and high school courses completed.
Notification Timelines: Scholarship recipients will be notified of the award typically during the first week of March.
Criteria for Scholarship Renewal: Any student chosen as a scholarship recipient must meet the following criteria in order to continue receiving the award each semester:
1. Be enrolled as a full-time student at Huntington University.
2. Declare a major in biology, chemistry, computer science, or mathematics upon initial registration and continue actively pursuing one of these declared majors, as evidenced by the courses of study. However, the student may change majors within these four majors if desired. Pre-pharmacy students are eligible for the scholarship while pursuing an accelerated pre-pharmacy track for pharmacy school acceptance without a bachelor’s degree. Pre-pharmacy students either not pursuing early entry or not accepted for early entry by the end of the sophomore year must declare one of the majors above for continued receipt of the scholarship.
3. Maintain a cumulative Huntington University GPA of at least 3.0.
4. Complete the degree in ten semesters or fewer. Ordinarily, students will be expected to complete the degree within eight semesters; but a change of major within the division, illness during a semester, or other extenuating circumstances may warrant aid beyond the eight semesters, provided that the student is also making appropriate progress toward the degree.