LIMA, Ohio - Despite adding Joseph Staznicky and Diego Inurritegui back into the line-up at the No. 1 and No. 2 spots respectively, the Forester men’s tennis team came up empty against 10th-ranked University of Northwestern Ohio.
The Racers swept HU at all nine spots with the closest match coming at No. 3 singles where it took Emin Alpan three sets to beat Julian Massa.
Despite the lopsided score, Coach Eckert was pleased with his team’s progress. “The team played even harder and never gave up, pushing a number of matches past what we were able to do last year, so overall, it was a very good night as the team continues to improve on some important areas. This should help us prepare for the matches against Cornerstone and Taylor next week as well as our match tomorrow versus Saint Francis.”
The Foresters (0-3) hit the road again today to take on Saint Francis at 10:00 a.m.
1. Daniel Reuda (ONUH) def. Joseph Straznicky (HU) 6-4, 6-0
2. Thommy Johansoon (ONUH) def. Diego Inurritegui (HU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Emin Alpan (UNOH) def. Julian Massa (HU) 6-2, 5-7 (10-6)
4. Rik van Gerwin (UNOH) def. Adrian Beloqui (HU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Paulo Coceicao (UNOH) def. Joe Brenneman (HU) 6-3, 6-3
6. Rastko Tatarevic (UNOH) def. Volodymyr Kohut (HU) 6-1, 6-0
1. Van Gerwin/Alpan (UNOH) def. Straznicky/Inurritegui (HU) 8-3
2. Ronnie Myburgh/Akira Kuwada (UNOH) def. Massa/Beloqui (HU) 8-2
3. Gabriel Cleto/Austen Hammett (UNOH) def. Brenneman/Kohut (HU) 8-1