FORT WAYNE, Ind. - The Forester men’s tennis team’s hopes of capturing its second conference tournament title in four years came to an abrupt ending Saturday afternoon at Wildwood Racquet Club in Fort Wayne as 4th-seeded Marian University took control of the match early to cruise to a 5-1 win over 2nd-seeded Huntington.
For the Knights, it was their second upset in a row as they knocked-off top-seeded Grace in semifinal action earlier in the week in order to make it to the tournament championship.
Huntington found themselves in an early 1-2 hole with the No. 2 duo of Joseph Straznicky and Diego Inurritegui logging the team’s only win in doubles play, an 8-3 win over Danny Albert and Mitchell Trammel.
Things didn’t get any better in singles play where MU needed only three points to capture the title and did so in quick fashion, winning at No. 2, 5 and 6 singles to stop play at all other positions.
HU (11-3) wraps up the fall portion of its season on Wednesday when they host Tiffin University at 3:30 p.m.
1. Vlad Khudziy (HU) vs. Danny Albert (MU) – did not finish
2. Jason Denton (MU) def. Joseph Straznicky (HU) 6-1, 6-4
3. Jose Hungria (HU) vs. Jack Hiatt (MU) – did not finish
4. Diego Inurritegui (HU) vs. Mitchell Trammel (MU) – did not finish
5. Marty Pochop (MU) def. Zakk Sparks (HU) 6-0, 6-0
6. Ryan Heuer (MU) def. Derek Hinen (HU) 6-1, 6-0
1. Denton/Pochop (MU) def. Khudziy/Hungria (HU) 8-6
2. Straznicky/Inurritegui (HU) def. Albert/Trammel (MU) 8-3
3. Nick Batuello/Taylor Kinney (MU) def. Sparks/Hinen (HU) 8-4