WINONA LAKE, Ind. - The Forester men’s tennis team moved into the top spot in conference play after a 5-4 win over Grace College Tuesday afternoon.
HU has wrapped up the conference portion of its schedule with a 7-1 record. With one league match still to play for Grace and Indiana Wesleyan, both teams currently have just one loss. Should both of them loss their final conference match, Huntington will claim sole possession of the conference title.
No. 1 and No. 2 doubles continued their unblemished run in Crossroads play with Vlad Khudziy and Jose Hungria defeating Daniel Sanchez and Aaron Blevins 8-4 at the top spot while Joseph Straznicky and Diego Inurretigui handed Michael Humphrey and Jose Marval a 8-5 loss at the #2 spot.
Singles action was a battle to the bitter end with four of the six matches going into three sets. Khudziy, Hungria and Inurretigui each ended up winning their respective match to claim the team’s final three points and push Huntington past the Lancers.
The Foresters (9-2) travel to Valparaiso University for an invitational this weekend in preparation for the Crossroads League Tournament slated for October 1, 3 and 5.
1. Vlad Khudziy (HU) def. Daniel Sanchez (GC) 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
2. Jose Marval (GC) def. Joseph Straznicky (HU) 7-6, 2-6, 6-2
3. Jose Hungria (HU) def. Aaron Blevins (GC) 1-6, 6-1, 6-4
4. Diego Inurretigui (HU) def. Jacob Stump (GC) 6-3, 6-0
5. Michael Humphrey (GC) def. Zakk Sparks (HU) 6-1, 7-5
6. Ricardo Bedon (GC) def. Derek Hinen (HU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-0
1. Khudziy/Hungria (HU) def. Sanchez/Blevins (GC) 8-4
2. Straznicky/Inurretigui (HU) def. Humphrey/Marval (GC) 8-5
3. Jack Wang/Ethan Grove (GC) def. Sparks/Joe Brenneman (HU) 8-1