HUNTINGTON, Ind. - The Forester men’s tennis team (8-2, 6-1) handed Marian University its first conference loss with a 5-4 win over the Knights Saturday afternoon at Klopfenstein Courts to move one step closer to the league title.
Grace remains undefeated in conference play but the Foresters will have a chance to take over the top post with a win over the Lancers on Tuesday. The match is slated to start at 3:30 p.m. in Winona Lake.
In the midst of doubles play, rain forced a two-hour delay to set up a dramatic finish. When play resumed and with the scored knotted at 4-4, it came down to No. 2 singles where Joseph Straznicky pulled out a three-set win, 6-2, 3-6, 6-3, over Marian’s Jason Denton for the fifth and final point. It was sweet revenge for Huntington as last year’s match-up also came down to the last point after a rain suspension with the outcome favoring the Knights.
HU duked out two wins in doubles action which included Straznicky and Diego Inurritegui mounting a come-from-behind 8-6 win before Vlad Khudziy and Inurritegui tallied singles wins at the No. 1 and No. 4 spots respectively setting up Straznicky’s heroic finish.
All three Foresters remain undefeated in singles play against conference opponents while the duos of Khudziy/Hungria and Straznicky/Inurritegui also remain unblemished in conference doubles action.
1. Vlad Khudziy (HU) def. Danny Albert (MU) 6-3, 6-3
2. Joseph Straznicky (HU) def. Jason Denton (MU) 6-2, 3-6, 6-3
3. Jack Hiatt (MU) def. Jose Hungria (HU) 6-4, 6-0
4. Diego Inurritegui (HU) def. Marty Pochop (MU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Mitchell Trammel (MU) def. Joe Brenneman (HU) 6-0, 6-1
6. Ryan Heuer (MU) def. Zakk Sparks (HU) 6-2, 6-2
1. Khudziy/Hungria (HU) def. Denton/Pochop (MU) 8-6
2. Straznicky/Innuritegui (HU) def. Trammel/Albert (MU) 8-6
3. Taylor Kinney/Nick Batuello (MU) def. Sparks/Brenneman (HU) 8-4