HUNTINGTON, Ind.— Huntington University’s Friesen Center for Volunteer Service is plunging into inner city Chicago for this year’s Urban Plunge trip. From Nov. 8-10, 14 students and Dr. Tanner Babb, assistant professor of psychology, will be working with Emmaus Ministries to serve the homeless population and to help bridge the gap between the church and a community in need.
“The goal of the trip will be to expand student’s knowledge and understanding of those living in an urban setting,” said Abby Goering, Friesen Center volunteer coordinator. “We will also focus on showing God’s love to those we come in contact with through our lives and our service.”
The students attending this year’s trip are:
- Abby Goering, a junior social work major from Carol Stream, Ill.
- Alexa Walczak, a sophomore communication studies major from Blissfield, Mich.
- Isaiah Gerber, a freshman writing and psychology major from Ossian, Ind.
- Itzel Barron, a freshman history education and pre-law major from Fort Wayne, Ind.
- Emily O’Leary, a sophomore exercise and movement science major from Hebron, Ind.
- Marcie McDougle, a senior psychology and sociology major from Paulding, Ohio
- Cristin Carter, a junior exercise and movement science major from Montpelier, Ind.
- Edwin Chow, a freshman missions and Bible and religion-biblical studies major from Campbell, Calif.
- Brittany West, a sophomore missions major from Katy, Texas
- Isaiah Stephenson, a senior economics and finance and business management major from Louisville, Ky.
- Jessica Musselman, a senior psychology major from Roanoke, Ind.
- Melanie Clemens, a sophomore undecided major from Bourbon, Ind.
- Rosa Cruz, a junior political science major from San Antonio, Texas
- McKenzie Urbina, a junior social work major from Galveston, Ind.
This is the 17th Urban Plunge trip for Huntington University. For the past several years, the team has stayed with Ravenswood Fellowship Church. The trip serves as an important entry point for students to begin acclimating themselves to urban ministry.
The Friesen Center is a student-directed organization that coordinates HU students in volunteer efforts on a daily basis. The Friesen Center stands to build the idea that every one person can make a difference in the community.