MARION, Ind. - In a battle for the top spot in league play, the Indiana Wesleyan University Wildcats outlasted the HU men’s tennis team 5-4 to hand the Foresters their first conference loss.
Things were going well for the visitors as they snagged two wins in doubles play but the Wildcats stormed back in singles action to make for a thrilling finish. With the score knotted at 4-4 with only the No. 2 singles match left, IWU’s Leonard Matthew came up with the decisive three-set victory to tilt the scale Wesleyan’s favor.
The Foresters (3-3, 3-1) will travel to Grand Rapids, Michigan, at the end of the week to play in the ITA Regionals, a three-day tournament that features some of the best teams in the five-state area. At last year's tournament, Khudziy won the singles draw and then teamed up with Augusto Velez to claim the doubles draw as well.
"I am excited to see how Vlad does because he's playing well enough to win the singles draw again," stated Coach Eckert. "Vlad and Jose are also playing well enough to the win the doubles draw."
1. Vlad Khudziy (HU) def. Kyle Johnson (IWU) 6-2, 6-3
2. Leonard Matthews (IWU) def. Jose Hungria (HU) 3-6, 6-4, 7-5
3. Brandon Dubuque (IWU) def. Joseph Straznicky (HU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Diego Inurritegui (HU) def. Alex McMahan (IWU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Daniel Stoddard (IWU) def. Zakk Sparks (HU) 6-0, 6-2
6. Alex Hornett (IWU) def. Arjun Bhalla (HU) 6-3, 6-4
1. Khudziy/Hungria (HU) def. Johnson/McMahan (IWU) 8-2
2. Straznicky/Inurritegui (HU) def. Dubuque/Matthews (IWU) 9-8 (7-5)
3. Hornett/Stoddard (IWU) def. Sparks/Bhalla (HU) 8-4