Huntington, Ind.—A team of Huntington College staff and students will serve in Jamaica for the upcoming spring break, March 15-19, 2004.
The team will work with the Happy Grove High School and the Seaside Friends Church in Manchionial, Jamaica. They will help teachers in the classroom, conduct devotions and paint and repair parts of the school. They also plan to organize evening-outreach events for the high-school students and teachers.
Dr. Norris Friesen, vice president and dean of Huntington College, will make his 10th spring-break trip to the Caribbean.
“I am looking forward to getting to know our students and challenging them to step outside of their comfort zone,” Friesen said. “I know that the living conditions will be tight and the work assignment will not be ideal, but I also know that God will stretch us and give us an incredible opportunity to get to know Him better.”
Students serving include:
· Virginia Allison, a senior educational ministries major from Avon, Ind.
· Diana Ashley, a senior psychology major from Fort Wayne, Ind.
· Holly Banyash, junior psychology major from Columbia City, Ind.
· Lynsey Bennett, a senior elementary education major from Bryan, Ohio.
· Bethany Brown, a junior elementary education major from Richmond, Ind.
· Lora Bulla, a junior business management major from Bryan, Ohio.
· Amy Cherry, a junior history major from Brooklyn, Mich.
· Emily Cross, a sophomore psychology major from Elkhart, Ind.
· Scot Durbin, a junior computer science major from Mount Gilead, Ohio.
· Anna Geivett, a junior recreation management major from Ionia, Mich.
· Kellie Hanson, a freshman elementary education major from Mishawaka, Ind.
· Ben Johnson, a senior educational ministries major from Huntington, Ind.
· Shaun Leyse, a senior media communications major from Decatur, Ind.
· Jennifer Schmidt, a senior business management major from Indianapolis, Ind.
· Emily Sealscott, a freshman mathematics major from Van Wert, Ohio.
· Richard Strick, a senior educational ministries major from Fowlerville, Mich.
· Jessica Van Deusen, a sophomore recreation management major from Pendleton, Ind.
· Andrew Vaught, a sophomore Bible and religion major from Huntington, Ind.
Huntington College is a comprehensive Christian college of the liberal arts offering graduate and undergraduate programs in more than 60 academic concentrations. USNews & World Report ranks Huntington among the top comprehensive colleges in the Midwest. Founded in 1897 by the Church of the United Brethren in Christ, Huntington College is located on a contemporary, lakeside campus in Huntington, Indiana. The College is a member of the Council for Christian Colleges and Universities (CCCU).
# # #