The pre-med majors are housed in the 90,000 square-foot Dowden Science Hall. This learning center features a quality learning environment with student-friendly spaces, teaching and research specialty equipment, well-designed laboratories and research spaces, and multimedia classrooms in rich, art-infused aesthetic surroundings.
Instrumentation and Equipment
The Biology and Chemistry Departments at Huntington University provide ready access for undergraduate students to receive mentoring in using professional scientific equipment and research-grade instrumentation.
Instrumentation and equipment in the biology department includes:
- Video-interfaced stereoscopic microscopes
- Fluorescence microscope
- Physiological monitoring equipment
- Anatomical software, models, and specimens
- Nucleotide and protein electrophoresis equipment
- High performance liquid chromatograph (HPLC)
- UV-Visible spectrophotometer
- Vernier LabPro interfaces
- Laminar-flow hood specially designed for sterile specimen preparation
- Modern climate-controlled greenhouse
Instrumentation available in the chemistry department includes:
Undergraduate research experiences, internships, and job-shadowing experiences is encouraged and are available through a variety of on- and off-campus learning opportunities. These include summer research experiences, internships in research labs, clinical job-shadowing experiences, career-oriented January Term courses, attending professional meetings and seminars, and medical missions trips, and summer research internships.