Classes begin in the Fall of 2015!
Best-selling author, leadership consultant and one of the country’s top psychologists, Dr. John Townsend has brought his proven counseling and leadership model to Huntington University, forming the Townsend Institute for Leadership and Counseling.
The first of its kind, the Townsend Institute will provide master’s degree programs in both counseling and organizational leadership, plus credentialing in counseling, organizational leadership and executive coaching. The program curricula are based on Dr. Townsend’s competency-plus-character based model taught in his many books, writings and teachings. The programs are high quality, affordable and skills-based.
John will be personally involved in teaching at the Institute, and will engage with the students. We have also assembled a strong faculty who will be conducting courses, including many of Dr. Townsend’s friends who are renowned experts and bestselling authors in their own fields.
A primary focus of Dr. Townsend’s model is helping students learn to facilitate transformational relationships, both in counseling and organizations, which help people heal, grow and achieve their potential in life and career. Through the Townsend Institute, students will be educated in several key arenas of information, including scriptural teachings, counseling and leadership theory and research, neuroscience, and Dr. Townsend’s writings and experience base. The program is designed to be practical and specific, allowing the student to become a practitioner through both theory and technique.
The Townsend Institute builds on the traditional classroom structure and also engages students in an innovative, experientially-based training program. More than just learning the model, students in the programs will be personally taught by John as he leads sessions to demonstrate the different modules from his proven growth model. “My vision is that The Institute will produce thousands of best-in-class business leaders, ministry leaders and counselors impacting the world for Christ, trained by a growth model which is competency-plus-character based, research-supported, highly practical and thoroughly Christian,” says Dr. Townsend. “I want to be personally involved with the students, both on campus and online, in helping them make sense of the material, develop high-level skills, be inspired and help them solve their challenges.”
The Institute’s partnership with Huntington University was a best-fit choice. “I wanted to partner with a university that, as an organization, is committed to academic excellence, is biblically-based, has a relational culture, is very strategic and can make nimble and agile administrative decisions,” says John. “Huntington has those aspects and more. We are more than associated collaboratively. We have a home with Huntington.”
The Counseling program will be offered onsite at the Huntington and Fort Wayne campuses and is being developed for online. A new MA in Organizational Leadership featuring Dr. Townsend will be available online. The Townsend Institute also will expand to include credential programs as well as opportunities to take stand-alone courses in leadership training and personal enrichment.
There are a variety of different programs and learning opportunities at the Institute. Below is a brief summary. For further information, click on the appropriate menu item describing the program. All programs may be taken full-time or part-time.
- Master’s program in Counseling: 48 or 60 hours. Leads to licensure. Residential.
- Master’s program in Organizational Leadership: Online only. (under development)
- Credential program in Organizational Leadership: Take 12 hours of key courses. Online only. (under development)
- Credential program in Executive Coaching: Take 12 hours of key courses, or 18 hours for an advanced credential. Online only. (under development)
- Credential program in Counseling: Take 12 hours of key courses. Residential. (under development)
- Credential program in Counseling: Take 12 hours of key courses. Residential or online. (under development)
- Leadership Training Courses: 1 credit hour courses, individually or as a team. Part of Dr. Townsend’s high-level executive curriculum. Online only. (under development)
- Personal Development Courses: 1 credit hour courses. From Dr. Townsend’s books or workshops. Online only. (under development)
- Leadership and Personal Enrichment Seminars: No academic credit. Complete at your own pace. Online only. (under development)
- Indiana Counseling Licensure Completion Program. For individuals who have completed a master’s degree outside of Indiana and who now need licensing in Indiana. Residential. (under development)