The TESOL / EL Certificate is a total of 15 credit hours. There are four three-credit courses and a three-credit practicum. For students wishing to minor in TESOL, additional coursework is added to the TESOL / EL Certificate to total 22 credits.
TESOL Minor (22 credits total)
- Complete all requirements of the TESOL / EL Certificate (15 credits)
- TE 336 Curriculum Development for TESOL /EL (3 credits)
- Select a minimum of four credits from the following list of courses offered at HU (4 credits)
- EN 455 History & Structure of the English Language
- BR 331 Religions of the World (prerequisite)
- MI 233CO Contextualization
- MI 233LA Language Acquisition
- MI 233RS Regional Studies in Missions
- MI 365 History and Theology of Missions (prerequisite)
- MI 401 Intercultural Learning and Adjustment
Typical schedule of TESOL / EL courses offered
- TE 233: Fall and Spring semesters, typically offered on Tuesday and Thursday
- TE 234: Fall semesters, Thursdays 6:00 – 9:00 p.m.
- TE 235: Spring semesters, Thursdays 6:00 – 9:00 p.m.
- CO 322/MI 321: Spring semesters (occasionally Fall semesters), typically offered on Tuesday and Thursday
- TE 395/396: Students may sign up for this course on an individual basis (fall, spring, summer, January-term)
Additional Practicum Information
The length and duration of the practicum experience varies widely depending on context. All students must complete a 120-hour practicum, comprised of teaching hours, materials preparation, grading, and observation. Most education majors opt to complete their EL Practicum and their Multicultural Practicum at the same time over the January term (approximately 2 ½ weeks) of their Junior year. Others complete their TESOL / EL Practicum by joining ITS’ annual summer trip to China. This is also a 2 ½ week experience, and includes teaching primary and middle school Chinese students, as well as working with Chinese teachers of English. Still other students may choose to complete a TESOL / EL Practicum locally by working with ELs in Fort Wayne or another nearby city. Any number of local or foreign opportunities exist, ranging from a couple weeks to a couple months, depending on the student’s interest, schedule, and partner organization.
To have an admissions counselor contact you, please fill out this form!