HUNTINGTON, Ind. – It was another tough loss for the Huntington men’s tennis team Wednesday afternoon as they suffered a 9-0 loss to Grace College to move to 0-2 on the season.
Playing without two key players, the Foresters fought through long hard points but weren’t able to string together enough rallies to drop their first conference match of the year.
“With four freshmen playing in the starting lineup, I was happy with the way they fought,” said Coach Eckert. “They are starting to understand what level of play they need to be able to do for two hours at a time. We have two matches yet this week, and if we can continue to learn and grow from each match, win or lose, we will be able to be a force in the conference again this year.”
Huntington wraps up the week by hitting the road to play the University of Northwestern Ohio and Saint Francis on Friday and Saturday respectively.
1. Daniel Sanchez (GrC) def. Julian Massa (HU) 6-1, 6-2
2. Jose Marval (GrC) def. Adrian Beloqui (HU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Jake Stump (GrC) def. Joe Brenneman (HU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Ethan Grove (GrC) def. Volodymyr Kohut (HU) 7-5, 6-7, 1-0 (11-9)
5. Gabe Vervynckt (GrC) def. Jacob Cross (HU) 6-1, 6-1
6. Ricardo Bedon (GrC) def. Mark Lewandowski (HU) 6-0, 6-0
1. Sanchez/Marval (GrC) def. Massa/Beloqui (HU) 8-5
2. Stump/Grove (GrC) def. Brenneman/Kohut (HU) 8-6
3. Vervynckt/Dave Driscoll (GrC) def. Cross/ Lewandowski (HU) 8-1