GOSHEN, Ind. - After a disappointing loss to Taylor University earlier in the week, the Forester women’s tennis team got back on track Saturday morning with a lopsided 7-2 win over Goshen College.
HU came out strong to sweep doubles play before securing four more wins in singles action to solidify the league win. The morning’s best match came at No. 2 doubles where Jessica Abel and Katie Johnson outlasted Goshen’s Rebekah Steiner and Lauren Stoltzfus for the 9-8 win. The match featured several lead changes and plenty of great points capped off with a tiebreaker to decide the winner. Amber Bos picked up her first collegiate win at #6 singles by giving up only three sets to Rebekah Steiner for the 6-0, 6-3 win.
"The team came out today and played hard from the start,” stated Coach Ferguson. “They were able to get a lead and even more importantly, they were able to hold on to that lead to the finish."
The Foresters (3-1, 1-1) are back on Klopfenstein Courts Monday to face the University of Saint Francis at 4:30 p.m.
1. Anika Baumgartner (GC) def. Aleksandra Spasic (HU) 1-6, 6-3, 6-2
2. Cassie Kasicki (HU) def. Lauren Stoltzfus (GC) 6-1, 6-1
3. Nikita Zook (GC) def. Jessica Abel (HU) 6-1, 6-4
4. Katie Johnson (HU) def. Mikayla Adamski 6-1, 6-0
5. Ciara Smith (HU) def. Maddie Ruth (GC) 7-6, 2-6 (10-4)
6. Amber Bos (HU) def. Rebekah Steiner (GC) 6-0, 6-3
1. Spasic/Kasicki (HU) def. Baumgartner/Maria Thomas (GC) 8-4
2. Abel/Johnson (HU) def. Zook/Adamski (GC) 9-8
3. Johnson/Smith (HU) def. Steiner/Stoltzfus (GC) 8-1