History of HU Arizona
Huntington University was eagerly prepared to join the Arizona higher education community by bringing our nationally recognized digital media arts degrees to our location in the city of Peoria, Arizona. Digital Media Arts is Huntington University’s largest and fastest growing undergraduate program. Huntington University Arizona offers a bachelor of arts degree in broadcast media and bachelor of science degrees in animation, film production, and graphic design. Coursework specific to these programs will be in a face-to-face environment with general core courses available in an online learning environment or via articulation agreements with nearby regionally accredited community colleges and universities such as the Maricopa Community College system.
This opportunity did not occur overnight. In fact, the opening of the Huntington University Arizona location was a dream four years in coming.
Some of the major milestones along the way include:
- August 2012 – 1st Visit by HU Team to Peoria
- April 2013 – Board of Trustees approves Peoria Initiative (reviewed and reaffirmed in October of 2014)
- July 2014 – HU administer Jeff Berggren moves to Peoria in consultant role for Peoria Initiative
- September 2014 – HU signs short term lease for office space at potential location site in Arrowhead Business Park
- July 2015 – EDA between HU and Peoria approved the City Council
- December 2015 – Long Term Lease signed for current HU Center for Digital Media Arts building
- January 2016 – Transfer partnership MOU signed with Maricopa Community College District
- February 2016 – Arizona State Board for Private Postsecondary Education approval of HU license application
- March 2016 – Higher Learning Commission approval of HU AZ as additional location
- May 2016 – Department of Education gives approval for federal financial aid for AZ location June 2016 - HU presented with City Manager's Award at Annual Peoria Chamber of Commerce Banquet
- August 2016 – First day of classes for AZ DMA students!