2015 Forester Night recognizes students, faculty
The 44th annual Huntington University Forester Night celebrated the accomplishments of students from across campus, as well as the recognition of the Foresters of the Year, the 2015 Outstanding Scholar Award, the Impact Initiative Scholarship and the Professor of the Year. The event was held May 5.
Grant Fitzgerald, a senior film production major from Owatonna, Minn., was named the Male Forester of the Year, and Breanna Amico, a senior public relations and communication studies double major from Indianapolis, Ind., was named the Female Forester of the Year. Foresters of the Year are voted on by the Huntington University student body.
The 2015 Outstanding Scholar Award was given to Luke Batdorff, a senior mathematics major from Bluffton, Ind. This award is given by vote of fellow Alpha Chi members to the outstanding graduate in the Indiana Beta chapter of Alpha Chi Honor Society at Huntington University.
Dr. Matthew Ruiz, associate professor of exercise science, was named the 2015 Professor of the Year. Ruiz joined the faculty in the fall of 2006. He earned his Bachelor of Science degree in athletic training and exercise science from Lipscomb University in Nashville, Tennessee, a Master of Science degree in exercise science and sport studies with a concentration in sport and exercise psychology from Springfield College in Springfield, Massachusetts, and a Ph.D. in kinesiology with an emphasis in sport and exercise psychology from the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
The 2015 Impact Initiative Scholarship was given to Sang Eun Woo, a sophomore educational ministries major from Malang Jawa Timur, Indonesia. Student Senate presents the award to a student who has had an impact on the university and the greater community. The student receives a $1,000 scholarship for his or her junior and senior years.
Twenty-five seniors also were honored by their respective departments with Outstanding Senior Awards. The Outstanding Senior Awards are voted on by faculty. Recipients were presented plaques for their accomplishments at Forester Night.
Departmental recipients included:
- Art: Jonathan Carhart, a senior graphic design major from Bloomfield, Neb.
- Biology: Emily Carbaugh, a senior biology pre-med major from Orbisonia, Pa.
- Bible and Religion: Jeffery Hilterbrand, a senior Bible and religion-Biblical studies major from New Haven, Ind.
- Business & Economics: Brittany Rooze, a senior accounting and business management double major from West Lafayette, Ind.
- Chemistry: Kristen Springer, a senior chemistry major from Bluffton, Ind.
- Communication: Shawn Hudak, a senior communication studies major from Roanoke, Ind.
- Computer Science: Alex Hoffman, a senior computer science, accounting and philosophy triple major from Huntington, Ind.
- Animation: Emily Thornton, a senior animation major from Lewiston, Mich.
- Broadcast-Fusion Media: Brianna Santiago, a senior broadcast-fusion media major from Goshen, Ind.
- Film: Ethan Burch, a senior film production major from Bloomington, Ind.
- Education: Amy Snider, a senior elementary education and teaching English learners double major from Wapakoneta, Ohio
- English & Modern Language: Jannea Thomason, a senior English major from Huntington, Ind.
- Exercise Science: Ryan Lechlitner, a senior exercise and movement science major from Pendleton, Ind.
- History: Andrew Wickersham, a senior history major from Huntington, Ind.
- History Education: Amy Landhuis, a senior history education major from Huntington, Ind.
- Math: Luke Batdorff, a senior mathematics major from Bluffton, Ind.
- Ministry & Missions: Brian Menzie, a senior youth ministries major from Pierceton, Ind.
- Music: YeRi Lee, a senior music business major from Kyunggido Anyangsi, Republic of Korea
- Nursing: Michelle Blevins, a senior nursing major
- Philosophy: Alex Hoffman, a senior computer science, accounting and philosophy triple major from Huntington, Ind.
- Political Science: Steven Uhey, a senior history major from Fort Wayne, Ind.
- Psychology: Elizabeth Bolinger, a senior psychology major from Warren, Ind.
- Social Work: Abby Goering, a senior social work major from Carol Stream, Ill.
- Sociology: Lauren Sowers, a senior psychology major from Warsaw, Ind.
- Theater Arts: Rachel Ellis, a senior theater design and technology major from Joliet, Ill.