Alpha Chi students to present at convention
HUNTINGTON, Ind. The Indiana Beta Chapter of Alpha Chi National Honor Scholarship will be attending the Alpha Chi Super-Regional Convention in Baltimore, Md., on March 22-24.
Seven students will be presenting papers and competing for Alpha Chi scholarships and fellowships. Those students are:
- Daniel Binkoski, a junior business management, entrepreneurial small business management and economics and finance triple major from Adrian, Mich., will present on "Hybrid Organizations."
- Jonathan Brenneman, a senior history and philosophy double major from St. Marys, Ohio, will present on "Increase Mather: Or how I Learned to Destroy an Entire Indigenous Population in the Name of God."
- Luke Brenneman, a senior sociology major from Spencerville, Ohio, will present on "Professor-Student Interactions and Student Participation: Comparing Effects of Body Language and Sex on Classroom Participation."
- Anthony Frederick, a junior film production major from Portage, Ind., will give a presentation titled "The Boy and The Sunflower."
- Robert Hindy, a senior computer science major from Fowlerville, Mich., will present on "Amdahl's Law and Virtual Machines: How Changes in Allocated CPU Time and RAM Affect Performance."
- Sarah Johnson, a senior journalism and English double major from Davenport, Iowa, will present on "Prophetic Heroism in A Lesson Before Dying" on the Ernest J. Gaines's novel."
- Nicole Schanke, a senior biology major from Trenton, Ohio, will present on the "Effects of Chemical and Physical Environmental Conditions on Synechococcus Abundance in the San Juan Archipelago."
Two other students, Joelle Kriebel, a senior English major from Brookston, Ind., and Abbey Wise, a senior elementary and middle grades education double major from Frankfort, Ill., will be doing a chapter activities poster presentation at the convention. The HU chapter is one of 16 chapters asked to do so.
The delegation will be accompanied by sponsors Dr. Norris Friesen, Dr. Paul Michelson and Mrs. Jean Michelson.
The Indiana Beta Chapter was awarded the President's Cup in 2001 as the outstanding Alpha Chi chapter nationally. At the 2012 convention, it will be recognized for the 17th consecutive year as a Star Chapter of Alpha Chi, one of only four chapters (out of some 300-plus) nationally to receive this award every year since its inception. Dr. Paul Michelson serves as secretary-treasurer of Alpha Chi's Region V and is a member of the Alpha Chi National Council.