Christ.  Scholarship.  Service.

Disability Services

Huntington University welcomes individuals diagnosed with various disabling conditions. Ensuring equal access by qualified persons to educational opportunities afforded by the University is mandated by federal law. However, it is the additional intent of the Academic Center for Excellence staff to see that this mandate is observed in a Christlike manner – not simply observing the letter of the law, but interacting with persons with disabilities in a respectful manner which enhances their independence.

In compliance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and the ADA Amendments Act, Huntington University makes reasonable accommodations for students with disabilities. The director of the Academic Center for Excellence is the advocate and coordinator of services for students with disabilities at the university. Any student who has a learning, orthopedic, sensory, neurological, psychiatric or other condition that substantially limits one or more major life activities and who would benefit from accommodations may be eligible for assistance.

Making the transition from high school to college is important for every student. However, for some students with disabilities, it can be very confusing. We have prepared a brochure to assist students and their parents with that process. 

The U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights has issued a pamphlet to offer guidance for students transitioning to college. We have reproduced another resource for students in transition from high school to college.

Parents of students with disabilities may find this letter written by Jane Jarrow helpful. Jarrow is an expert in the field of college/university access for students with disabilities, whose child with a disability was preparing to leave for college for the first time.

In order for students with disabilities to qualify for accommodations at HU, they must provide documentation which clearly describes the condition, its effect on the student's functioning, and recommendations which would help the student overcome barriers that have been identified. Students may have an HU form completed by the appropriate professional to serve as documentation of their disability OR they may provide copies of letters, reports or other forms they already have if comprehensive information is included on them. Contact Erica Marshall to request an HU form.

Students or parents may contact the Academic Center for Excellence in person (second floor of RichLyn Library), by phone at (260) 359-4290 or by email at for more information.