21st annual student art show winners announced
|"Leave Your Mark" by Emily Knapp|
|"Untitled Tea Pot" by Juan Lopez|
|"Flight" by Jamie Thurston|
|"American Series" by Sarah Stine|
|"The Ugly Duckling" by Rachel McCoy|
|"Brittle Leaves" by Rebecca Evans|
|"Hanby House" by Jeannette Shively|
HUNTINGTON, Ind.- Huntington University recently announced the winners of the 21st Annual Juried Student Art Exhibit which was on display in the Robert E. Wilson Gallery from March 28 through April 9.
The show was judged by Charles Shepard, executive director of the Fort Wayne Art Museum.
The following students were recognized:
- The Best of Show was awarded to Emily Knapp, a senior graphic design major from Pittsboro, Ind., for her piece titled "Leave Your Mark." Shepard described her piece as "eye catching, dramatic composition, very balanced composition (and) beautiful contrast."
- First place was awarded to Juan Lopez, a junior graphic design and fine arts major from Fort Wayne, Ind., for his piece titled "Untitled Tea Pot." Shepard described his piece as "excellent craftsmanship (with) beautiful form."
- Second place was awarded to Jamie Thurston, a senior graphic design and art education major from Van Wert, Ohio, for her piece titled "Flight." Shepard commented that her work was a "show stopper! Great execution and attention to detail in craft."
- Third place was awarded to Sarah Stine, a sophomore art education major from Huntington, Ind., for her piece titled "American Series." Shepard said that her work was a "strong reinterpretation of a classic American image (with a) great sense of humor/sharp wit."
The RichLyn Library, the Wilson Gallery and the United Brethren Historical Society also purchased pieces from the show. The library purchased "The Ugly Duckling" by Rachel McCoy, a junior graphic design major from Nashville, Ind. The gallery purchased "Brittle Leaves" from Rebecca Evans, a junior art education major from Zeeland, Mich. The historical society purchased "Hanby House" from Jeannette Shively, a senior art education major from Columbus, Ohio.
The following students were also recognized with outstanding achievement awards:
- 3-D Design: Trevor Bortz, a freshman art education major from Clarks Mills, Pa., for his piece titled "Hammer Head."
- Drawing: Cate Rinchak, a freshman fine arts major from Chesterton, Ind., for her piece titled "Untitled Number 2."
- Painting: Jamie Thurston for her piece titled "Self Portrait."
- Printmaking: Jenna Thurston, a senior art education major from Van Wert, Ohio, for her piece titled "Mysterious."
- Computer Illustration: Emily Knapp for her piece titled "Leave Your Mark."
- Traditional Photography: Sarah Stine for her piece titled "Electric Love."
- Illustration: Rachel McCoy for her piece titled "Counting Animals."
- Sculpture: Troy Huffman, a senior graphic design major from Angola, Ind., for his piece titled "Bird."
- Ceramics: Juan Lopez for his piece titled "Blue Swirl."
- Digital Photography: Dana Stewart, a senior art education major from Fairfield, Pa., for her piece titled "Cups."