Financial Aid Policies and Academic Progress

General Financial Aid Policies 

The University’s first priority in providing financial assistance is to full-time students living on campus who excel in academic achievements and performance areas and to those preparing for service to the church. Many of the awards are need-based although several important awards are not. 

Students receiving financial aid are expected to uphold the ideals of the University as a condition of their awards, and students who are placed on disciplinary probation or academic probation may have their aid reduced or withdrawn by action of the financial aid committee.

Parents are expected to contribute according to their means, taking into account their income, assets, number of dependents and other relevant information. Students themselves are expected to contribute from their own assets and earnings, including appropriate borrowing against future earnings.


  • Offered to accepted students once a family's resources are determined as insufficient to meet educational expenses.
  • Amount offered will not exceed the amount needed to meet the difference between the student's total educational expenses and their family's resources. 
  • Must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) found online at 

University-funded scholarships and grants 

  • Awarded to students carrying a minimum of 12 credit hours. (Exception: Graduate School & tuition remission program students)
  • Awarded for two semesters with one-half the annual amount granted for each semester. Students are reviewed and renewed each year.
  • No combination of University-funded scholarships and grants may exceed the lesser of full-time tuition or the student's actual semester tuition.
  • Students who do not reside on campus may receive a reduced award.
  • External scholarships and grants may be applied to a portion of room and board costs.
  • If a student withdraws from HU before the end of the term, scholarships and grants will be recalculated and a student may be charged for any remaining unpaid costs. 

Academic Progress
Students must make Satisfactory Academic Progress towards earning a degree as stipulated in the undergraduate catalog to receive financial aid at Huntington from all institutional aid programs, federal and state student aid grants, Work Study and loan programs. If a student fails to meet Satisfactory academic progress, a student’s financial aid eligibility will be suspended.

Financial Aid Probation 
Students placed on academic probation are also placed on financial aid probation. If the students fail to be removed from academic probation, they are placed on financial aid suspension for the succeeding semester. Students who achieve at least a 2.5 in the probation semester but fail to be removed from academic probation may appeal to be continued on financial aid probation instead of suspension.

Financial Aid Suspension 
Students who are placed on financial aid suspension will be ineligible to receive financial aid of any kind from federal, state or University sources.

Financial Aid Reinstatement 
Students on financial aid suspension are eligible to apply for reinstatement of their financial aid in a subsequent semester if they earn at least a 2.0 GPA as full-time students for the semester that they are on suspension. Students not attending Huntington University during the semester of their suspension status will be reinstated on financial aid probation upon their readmission to the University. Part-time students may achieve reinstatement after the completion of 12 semester hours.

Appeal Process 
Students who failed to meet SAP may choose to appeal this decision if they feel extenuating circumstances contributed to their inability to meet SAP requirements. Students should contact the Office of Financial Aid for information on appealing SAP suspension.