Loans, Work, and Outside Resources

Federal Loan Options

See the Office of Financial Aid for more information.

Federal Direct Loan - Subsidized: $200-$5,500

Need based federal loan. Eligibility determined by FAFSA. Amount determined by grade classification and financial need.

Federal Direct Loan - Unsubsidized: Up to $7,500

Non need-based federal loan. Eligibility determined by FAFSA. Amount determined by grade classification.

Federal Parent PLUS: Up to Total Cost of Education

Non need-based federal loan. Eligibility determined by FAFSA and credit application. Amount determined by total cost of attendance at HU. This loan is in a parent’s name. Independent students are not eligible to receive this loan.

Alternative Loan Options

Huntington University strongly encourages you to exhaust all federal grant and loan options prior to applying for Alternative (Private) Student Loans. All alternative loans require credit worthiness.  It is extremely difficult for most students to qualify for an alternative loan without a credit worthy cosigner. This is due to increased default rates in the private student loan industry. Although HU will process loans from any lender you choose, we have provided links to a list of lenders our students have found to demonstrate excellent customer service and ease in process.

These lenders offer loan products representative of the best interest rates, lowest fees, and best repayment terms and conditions in the private loan industry. Visit INvestEd Marketplace to view these products and start the alternative loan process. INvestEd Marketplace allows you to instantly compare upfront accurate rates and terms form both local and national lenders complete with detailed listings of APR’s, interest rates, total cost, monthly payments, borrower benefits, fees and repayment options.

Federal Work Study: Up to $2,000

Federal need based work program awarded to Pell eligible students. This is an estimate of the funds you could earn through on-campus student employment. Jobs are available in various departments and are listed on the portal page under the ‘Students” heading. A student with work study eligibility is not required to work on campus.

If a student decides to work on campus all funds earned will be available to use for personal expenses or school related expenses at the discretion of the student. Funds earned through the work study program can be listed as “need based employment” on the following year’s FAFSA which will prevent the earned funds from increasing the student contribution portion of the Expected Family Contribution. Students who do not qualify for Federal Work Study may still apply for a position on campus and earn funds, but will not be able to list earned funds as “need based employment” on the following year’s FAFSA.

Keep in mind that there are lifetime aggregate limits to the amount of Subsidized and Unsubsidized loan funds a student may borrow. To view these limits and answers to other frequently asked questions, visit the Department of Educations website.

Additional Opportunities

Veteran’s Benefits

Huntington University accepts VA benefits for veterans, children, and spouses of veterans who qualify for VA benefits. Beth DuBois in the registrar office is our VA benefit liaison. You can reach her at 260-359-4011 or at

Outside Scholarship Opportunities

Many of our students benefit from outside scholarships. We encourage students to contact their local community foundation to explore scholarship opportunities, as the majority of the outside scholarships we receive are provided by local community foundations. The application window is often January through April of a student’s senior year in high school, but check with your community foundation for specific deadlines. 

QUESTA Education Foundation

Huntington is proud to be a regional partner school for the Questa Education Foundation. Students from north-eastern Indiana may qualify for one of several scholarship programs offered through the Questa Education Foundation. The application period is open November through March.

Vocational Rehabilitation Grant

Huntington accepts vocational rehabilitation benefits.  The student account and financial aid teams will assist you and your vocational rehabilitation counselor with completing any requested paperwork to process your vocational rehabilitation eligibility.

529 College Savings Plans

Our student account team can assist you in using your 529 College Savings Plan to pay for any remaining costs after other financial aid is applied. Indiana offers a tax credit of up to $1,000 annually for funds invested in a 529 plan. Speak with your 529 plan representative or your tax preparer for additional information. You may contact our student account team at 260-359-4283 or through email at