Applying for a Teaching License

Applying for a license in other states can be daunting, but information is available to help you navigate the process. 

  • First, obtain your Indiana license. In most instances, it is best to apply for a license in another state based on a valid (not expired) Indiana license. In some states it is mandatory to have the Indiana license first. In a few states it may not be absolutely necessary to have an active Indiana license, but completing a licensing program through a college or university will be mandatory.
  • Check directly with the licensing authority in your state for current licensing requirements (Licencing for all 50 states). Teacher licensing is regulated by state governments and there is no national teacher licensing authority. Specific course work, testing, or grade point averages may be required that are different than requirements for Indiana licensing. 
  • Huntington University education programs are accredited by NCATE (CAEP-2020). Having completed an NCATE-accredited program will be of benefit in some states.
  • Some states require the completion of additional requirements even if you have a valid license from Indiana or from other states.
  • The costs involved in obtaining a license vary greatly from state to state and can be as high as $300. Additional costs may be incurred through the evaluation process (to determine eligibility for the license), license tests, and other requirements. Most fees are non-refundable.
  • Ohio requires different PRAXIS II examinations for licensing than Indiana and has a licensing structure that is different from Indiana’s. Ohio currently evaluates transcripts of individual applicants to determine which license can be awarded. 
  • Michigan requires the Michigan Test for Teacher Certification but will issue a one-year, non-renewable Temporary Teacher Employment Authorization on the basis of the Indiana license (permitting you to apply for teaching positions) to give you one year to pass the MTTC.

Interstate Compact Agreement

The following states have signed a compact with Indiana agreeing to accept teacher education preparation completed here provided there is a parallel licensing pattern in that state.  Most states that have signed the compact will issue at least a one-year license to applicants who have an Indiana license.  During that year, some states will require teachers to make progress toward meeting requirements in that state.  Other states will issue a permanent license with no restrictions on the basis of Indiana licensing.  Some states have special requirements such as competency tests or background checks that they do not waive for out-of-state applicants. 

If the state you are interested in does not appear on this list, you will need to have your credentials evaluated by their licensing agency in order to know whether you qualify for a license.

Compact States for Instructional Licenses: 

AlabamaHawaiiNevadaRhode Island
AlaskaIdahoNew HampshireSouth Carolina
ArizonaIllinoisNew jerseyTennessee
ArkansasKentuckyNew MexicoTexas
CaliforniaMainNew York Utah
Colorado MarylandNorth CarolinaVermont
ConnecticutMassachusettsNorth DakotaVirginia
District of ColumbiaMississippiOklahomaWest Virginia