Huntington University honors athletics for Homecoming 2011
HUNTINGTON, Ind. Huntington University will celebrate Homecoming Oct. 7-8. This year's event will center on the importance of athletics at the university.
The weekend's festivities will include class reunions, the coronation of homecoming court, the annual Powder Puff championship football game, sporting events and theatrical productions. It will conclude with the popular talent show Davis Hall Follies.
Huntington University invites alumni, family, friends and the community to come and rekindle friendships, explore the campus and support HU's athletic department.
For accommodation information, visit www.huntington.edu/alumni.
A few of the highlighted events to take place over the course of the weekend include:
- Homecoming parade, 5 p.m. The parade will begin by the Science Hall on HU's campus and will proceed through the campus to conclude at Habecker Dining Commons.
- Coronation, 6 p.m. Habecker Dining Commons
- Dan Heath & The Paradise Band, 7:30 p.m. This concert will take place in Zurcher Auditorium in the Merillat Centre for the Arts. No band does the "Great American Song Book" like Dan Heath and The Paradise Band. From the swing band sounds of Frank Sinatra or the rock 'n' roll favorites of Elvis and the Beatles, this band does it all. Tickets are $8 general admission, $6 seniors, students and HU faculty and staff and $3 for HU students.
- Powder Puff championship football game, 9 a.m. The game will take place on the front campus lawn.
- Campus tour, 10 a.m. Meet at Habecker Dining Commons. If you would like a tour, RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- E. DeWitt Baker Invitational, cross country meet, 11 a.m.
- Five-year class reunions, 11 a.m. Meet in the Merillat Physical Education and Recreation Complex.
- Women's soccer vs. Indiana Wesleyan, 1 p.m.
- History department alumni reunion and mini-lecture, 1:30 p.m., lecture at 2 p.m. Christina K. Smith, a 1989 HU history graduate and executive director of the Questa Foundation for Education in Fort Wayne, will be presenting a mini-lecture dealing with her thoughts on "Guns, God and Generators: Reassessing U.S. Policy in Central Asia Ten Years after 9/11." The public is invited. The gathering and lecture will take place in the RichLyn Library Conference Room.
- The Theatre Troupe, 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. The HU theater department celebrates the 25th anniversaries of "Into the Woods" and "Les Miserables" in this year performances. Seating is limited so come early. Performances will take place in the Merillat Centre for the Arts Studio Theater. Admission is free.
- Davis Hall Follies, 7 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. Tickets cost $3 general admission. The show will take place in Zurcher Auditorium of the Merillat Centre for the Arts.
To purchase tickets for the Dan Heath and The Paradise Band or Davis Hall Follies, contact the MCA Box Office at 260-359-4261. The Box Office is open from 9 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Mondays through Fridays and before all performances.
For a schedule of events, visit www.huntington.edu/homecoming.