The Heart of Matter
All it takes is a closer look for the familiar to transform into something completely extraordinary. In the Department of Chemistry, we study the building blocks of the world, then use our knowledge to create everything from medicine to rockets. It’s precise, it’s demanding, and the result is completely worth the effort.
At Huntington University, we want to expand your horizons by exploring the tiniest pieces of God’s world. Whether your studies center around environmental impact, what makes up our bodies, or the elements themselves, together we’ll get to the heart of matter.
Formula for Success
Our smaller school size often means increased opportunities for individual students. You have more direct access to high-caliber professors, competitive research opportunities, and time with lab instrumentation – all benefits when it comes to securing your first research position or place in graduate school.
For example, we collaborate with other departments to provide a variety of minors that pair well with a chemistry degree:
- Environmental science
- Forensic science
Straight to the Heart
We have the tools and opportunities that will enrich your college journey and develop your chemistry skills.
Lab equipment you will use:
- 200 MHz nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectrometer
- Gas chromatograph–mass spectrometer (GC-MS) and a gas chromatograph (GC)
- Fourier transform infrared spectrophotometers (FTIRs)
- UV-Visible spectrophotometers
- Potentiostat for cyclic voltammetry (CV)
- High performance liquid chromatograph (HPLC)
- Oxygen combustion and solution calorimeters
- Vacuum equipment
- Laser polarimeter
Skills you’ll learn for graduate school and a professional career:
- How to keep a quality lab notebook
- Confidence in using lab instrumentation
- Confidence in research techniques
In addition, you will have opportunities to:
- Work alongside a PhD on a research project on campus
- Complete an off-campus research project
Come Visit HU!
The best way to get to the heart of matter is to see our facilities, equipment, and community for yourself. Our students and faculty are some of the best in the field – will you be next?Come Visit HU