Strategy Pillar 3 – Sustaining Spiritual Significance and Faithful Service
Faith integration in the learning experience, an environment supporting spiritual growth, and engagement in meaningful service form the foundation of Huntington University’s Christ, Scholarship, and Service mission. Spiritual significance and faithful service directly impact key elements of the University’s mission to prepare students for a life of moral and spiritual integrity, personal and social responsibility, and a continued quest for wisdom. Recognizing that the future holds more spiritual challenges than the past elevates the importance of properly equipping the next generation of Christian leaders. Sustaining spiritual significance supported by life application through service is fundamentally critical to the mission and distinctiveness of the University.
It is from this context of mission significance and importance that Huntington University initiated a comprehensive review of student spiritual development in 2013 using The REVEAL Survey. The REVEAL survey and benchmark process is an emerging tool to regularly review, objectively discuss, and enhance overall student spiritual development. Consistent use of the REVEAL survey forms the basis by which the University will embark upon intentional strategies to consistently improve the effectiveness and relevance of spiritual development and service.
Spiritual growth and Christian service will be even more central to the culture of Huntington University than it is today. Led by growth in student spiritual maturity, Huntington University will be recognized as an institution that is clearly Christian, clearly conversational, clearly compassionate, and clearly competent when it comes to the intersection of faith and discipline. Our relationship with the Church of the United Brethren Church in Christ and regional churches will be a model for other universities and denominations. Graduates will be recruited by organizations around the world because of Huntington University’s Christian distinctiveness and reputation in uniting faith and vocation.
- Develop a comprehensive plan to continuously elevate spiritual formation for residential and non-residential students using the REVEAL survey as a foundation.
- Conduct an evaluation and develop a comprehensive plan to enhance faith integration across all curricula and the university.
- Develop a system to track and recognize student, faculty, and staff service.
- Increase alignment of faith integration and service work with respective student majors.
- Create opportunities for faculty and staff development related to the interaction of faith, discipline, work and service; via such things as the Christ-Centered Higher Education Initiative.
- Encourage faculty scholarship in the area of faith and learning integration.
Recommended Success Indicators:
- Annual REVEAL Survey administration.
- Creation of aligned spiritual significance and faithful service plans within each department.
- Regular recognition of outstanding faith, spiritual development and service integration.
- Increased levels of faculty, staff, student and alumni service involvement.
- Student transcripts created for service participation.
- Increasing numbers of United Brethren churches and regional churches seeking relationships with the University and students.
- Spiritual growth, community engagement, and community service become increasingly larger elements of the HU culture.
- Faculty and staff are provided development and opportunity to enrich spiritual growth.
- Increased levels of faculty scholarship related to faith and learning integration.
Measurements of Success:
- University composite REVEAL scores – Annual trend improvement.
- Faith integration SSI scores – Annual increases.
- Tier 4 REVEAL survey benchmark attainment – 60%.
- Students’ REVEAL spiritual continuum upward movement – 60%.
- Faculty and staff participation in student service programs and faith development – 70%.
- Service linked with academic major – 6 academic departments fully integrated.
- Identified student satisfaction indicators – Trend improvement. Annual senior leader review.
- Faculty annual report of activity – Additional foci on faith/learning integration.
To have an admissions counselor contact you, please fill out this form!