Christ.  Scholarship.  Service.


What class formats are available?

The Master’s in Counseling program may be completed online or residentially on our Huntington, IN campus. All students, including online students, are required to attend a one-time 3 day intensive. The intensive meets on our Huntington campus in late August prior to the Fall semester.

When are the residential (face-to-face) courses offered?

Generally, residential courses meet Monday through Thursday from either 2:30-5:00 p.m. or 6-8:30 p.m. Each class meets one time each week for two-and-a-half hours.

What is the normal course load required? How much time will I need to commit to this program?

Taking 10-12 credits per semester keeps you on track to complete the program in 2 years for the Counseling program. A standard 3 year plan is also available for working adults. Graduate-level courses typically require a heavy load of reading and writing, and students should plan to dedicate 3-5 hours per course outside of class time to complete assignments.

May I enroll as a part-time student?

Yes, you are more than welcome to work through the program at your own pace. We completely understand that because of other responsibilities and commitments, full time is not possible for every student. Part-time status would be considered 3-6 credits per semester. The full program must be completed within 7 years of initial enrollment.

Does the Counseling program run on a semester schedule?

Yes. The academic year includes a fall semester, spring semester, and two summer terms. Fall and spring semesters last 15 weeks each, and each summer term is 7 weeks. We believe that this provides the best opportunity for students to achieve skills, knowledge, acquisition, and application. Online courses last 7 weeks each instead of 15 weeks. 

What is the cost of the Counseling program?

Current tuition and fee costs can be found HERE  Huntington University does offer Graduate Assistantships and discounts through various on-campus and off-campus partners. Take time to explore these options with your Admissions Representative.

Is financial aid available?

Financial aid is available for those pursuing a master’s degree in Counseling, but not for those pursuing the credential program as it is a non-degree program. Visit our Financial Aid page to learn more about the types of financial aid available.

Are any payment plans available?

Yes. You may choose to pay a portion or the entirety of your tuition in a monthly payment plan. Payment plan options are explained in more detail on our Business Office page

Is a bachelor’s degree required for admission?

Yes. All Counseling programs, including the credential program, are designed for students who currently hold a baccalaureate (undergraduate) degree from a regionally accredited university, or are in the process of earning one prior to enrolling.

What types of bachelor's degrees are acceptable for entry into the Counseling program?

Students holding bachelor’s degrees from any discipline are welcome to apply as long as they complete the specified prerequisites. Prerequisites are only required for the Masters in Counseling program.

What prerequisites are required to start the program?

All prerequisite coursework must have a minimum grade of a C or better. Prerequisites include: 

  • Biblical studies - 3 Credit Hours and
  • Psychology - 3 Credit Hours from an Intro or General Psychology, Abnormal Psychology, Clinical Psychology, or Personality Theories/Theories of Counseling
  • Students who have not met prerequisites may be accepted on a conditional basis, provided they complete prerequisites within the first year of graduate study.
  • All prerequisites are available at Huntington University.

If you do not currently have these prerequisites met, you may still be accepted into the Master’s in Counseling program on a conditional basis and complete up to one year of graduate work without having all academic prerequisites met, contingent upon admissions committee approval. We can assist you in completing these requirements. 

What is the timeline for admissions decisions?

You may apply at any time. Admissions decisions will be made in phases throughout the year until we reach capacity. Entry into the Counseling program is permitted at the beginning of the Fall semester in late August and the Spring semester in early January. Entry point exceptions may be made for those transferring from another master in counseling program.

How much counseling experience will I receive in the graduate counseling program?

Huntington University is committed to meeting or exceeding all state requirements regarding hours of experience. Students who wish to pursue licensure in states requiring a 60 credit hour master’s program will graduate with 1,000 hours of counseling experience. Students will clock 500 direct client hours, which exceeds most states’ requirements. Students who wish to pursue licensure in states requiring a 48-hour master’s program will graduate with 750 hours of counseling experience. Students will gather 375 hours of direct client interaction which exceeds most states’ requirements. This additional experience provides students the opportunity to receive additional supervision and provides additional preparation prior to graduation. Additional experience is extremely helpful when competing with graduates of other programs for employment.

In the graduate counseling program, you will begin to practice your counseling skills with individuals during your first semester in the Helping Relationships class. After foundation courses are completed, you will begin to see clients. Students in the residential program on Huntington University’s main campus will see clients in the LifeSpring Counseling Center. This Counseling Practicum will be 100 hours of practice with 50% being direct client contact through individuals, couples, families or groups. 

Following your successful completion of Practicum, you will secure an internship site off campus for your Supervised Internships. Each of these Internships will take place over a period of one semester and will include 300 hours of clinical practice with 50% direct client contact. Finding the internship site will be your responsibility following the Program guidelines. Practicum and Internship experiences meet the Indiana state requirement of 1,000 hours of clinical practice in your graduate program.

Each state has regulations related to therapy practice, internships and mental health licensing. Students should become familiar with regulations in their state of residence. In particular, students should become knowledgeable of state regulations regarding distance (online) education, specific course and internship requirements. Students are responsible for understanding unique licensure requirements of their state.

Learn More:

Practicum Experience: FAQs for Practicum and Internship

Graduate Counseling in Indiana: Licensure Completion Information

How does graduate work differ from undergraduate work?

In the graduate programs, you will expand your knowledge of a particular discipline as well as expand your knowledge of self. Masters-level work covers more breadth and depth of subject matter with more attention given to original sources such as Freud, Adler, Rogers, Perls, etc. Graduate work also encourages higher-level critical thinking, including analysis, synthesis, and evaluation. Masters-level students are required to take more responsibility for their learning than undergraduates do. Most classes will require significant levels of reading and display of writing skill.

Where is Huntington University located?

Huntington University’s main campus is located approximately 25 minutes from Fort Wayne, Indiana. Our park-like, contemporary campus encompasses 160 acres and hosts excellent academic/research facilities (HU has invested more than $30 million in new facilities since 1990). Students enrolled in practicum will meet with clients in the graduate counseling program's free clinic, LifeSpring Counseling Center. Because of our proximity to Fort Wayne, students have clinical internship opportunities in both urban and rural settings. 

Campus Maps and Directions

Have more questions?

We're happy to help. Call us at (800) 600-4888 or send an email to

Contact Us!