1) Candidates must hold an earned baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university or be in the senior year of undergraduate study. A completed bachelor's degree is required prior to enrollment, as evidenced by a final official college/university transcript. A minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale is recommended. While no specific discipline is required, often, undergraduate students major in areas such as exercise science or psychology in preparation for a doctorate program in occupational therapy.
2) Candidates must achieve a grade of B- or better in all prerequisite courses, which must have been completed within ten years prior to application. Courses in progress need to be outlined in writing for plan of completion. Official transcripts showing completion of prerequisites with a grade of B- or better will be required prior to program matriculation.
|Anatomy and Physiology with Lab||4|
|Biology with Lab||3-4|
|Introduciton to Psychology||3|
|Statistics or Research||3|
View descriptions of these prerequisites.
3) Candidates must achieve competitive scores on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) taken within the past five years. The OTD program admission policy will use the GPA calculation from OTCAS, in addition to the GRE, for the assignment of points for admission.
4) Candidates who are invited to the interview phase of the admission process will be required to complete a writing sample based on a short reading assignment. The student will be given up to an hour to complete the essay on a computer made available to each candidate.
5) Candidates must complete a minimum of 50 hours of observational, volunteer, and/or work experience in occupational therapy. These hours do not have to be completed prior to application, but must be completed before the start of classes.
6) Candidates need to submit 3 letters of recommendation via OTCAS. At least one of the three recommendations required for application must be from a healthcare provider, preferably a licensed occupational therapist.
7) Submit the OTCAS application at https://portal.otcas.org.