Software and Hardware Requirements
All Digital Media Arts Majors
If you are purchasing a computer for the program, we also recommend getting the most recent copy of the new Adobe Creative Cloud, as this package offers many of the programs we use on a daily basis. Purchase Adobe Creative Cloud through Huntington University's educational program.
Recommended vs. Required Systems
The recommended systems are NOT required for the Digital Media Arts program. They are provided as guides for your purchase of hardware/software. The University provides DMA lab computers with software needed for DMA course requirements for use by students enrolled in DMA courses.
Mac-Based Specifications for DMA and Film Studies Recommended Systems
If purchasing a new Mac for the school year, we recommend purchasing a 15" MacBook Pro Laptop or a 21.5" or 27" iMac. Any configuration of these systems will work, but obviously, the better the hardware, the faster they will run. Visit the Huntington University Applestore for discounts on Apple software and hardware.
Windows-based Specifications for DMA and Film Studies Recommended Systems
Recommended minimum specifications for a DMA/Film Studies major's computer:
- Processor: Quad-core, 64-bit Intel or AMD processor
- Memory: 8GB or more
- Graphics card: OpenGL 2.0-compatible graphics card with 2GB of video card memory
- REQUIRED: Portable External Hard Drive — Due to the nature of the program, it is required that every student purchase an external hard drive. Below is what we would consider the minimum required specifications:
- 1 or 2TB external hard drive
- USB 3.0 (USB 2.0 drives are not acceptable.)
- Note: Thunderbolt drives are not supported in animation labs.
- REQUIRED: Wacom Cintiq Grip Pen (or any other Wacom Grip Pen compatible with Wacom Cintiq 22HD AND Cintiq 21UX Pen Display models. Email email@example.com for specific questions.)
- REQUIRED: Professional Stereo Headphones — All DMA students are required to have their own professional stereo headphones that enclose the ear. Earbuds and hobbyist headphones are unacceptable for critical tutorial and audio editing in classes. Here are some recommendations:
OPTIONAL: Wacom Intuos Pen Tablets and Pen Displays — These enable a student to work outside the animation computer labs, but they are not mandatory. The DMA animation labs are outfitted with Wacom Cintiq 22HD Pen Displays. The following products are hardware we personally recommend students to consider purchasing for their personal computers:
- Wacom Intuos Pro Pen Tablets (Included Pro Pen 2 Stylus is not compatible with lab Cintiqs.)
- The Wacom Intuos Pro Pen & Touch is top of the line when it comes to drawing tablets and offers 8,192 pressure levels of pen sensitivity. Cost is about $249.95 for the small (recommended size), $379.95 for the medium, and $499.95 for the large.
- Wacom Intuos Pen Tablets (Included Wacom Pen 4K is not compatible with lab Cintiqs.)
- Provides the portability of a digital tablet but at a lower, more affordable price. We would highly suggest purchasing the Intuos Pro, as it will offer better hardware, but for a simple budget tablet, this one would work adequately.
- Wacom Cintiq 16 w/Pro Pen 2 (Included Pro Pen 2 Stylus is not compatible with lab Cintiqs.)
- An affordable Cintiq Pen Display for use outside of the animation labs, at a dorm room computer, or at home during summer/holidays.
REQUIRED: Portable External Hard Drive — Due to the nature of the program, it is required that every student purchase an external hard drive. Below is what we would consider minimum required specifications:
- A minimum of 1TB of storage provided by a 7,200 RPM hard disk drive or a solid state drive.
- USB 3.0 (USB 2.0 drives are not acceptable.)
- Recommended Model: G-Technology 1TB G-Drive ev RaW
- A Thunderbolt port is a nice feature but is not yet required.
- Portability is a nice feature but is not required.
Note: Thunderbolt 2 drives will require a USB-C adapter.
REQUIRED: Card Reader — The card reader must accept both SD and CF (Compact Flash) cards. USB 3.0 is preferred.
Recommendation: Transcend USB 3.0 Super Speed Multi-Card Reader
REQUIRED: SD Card — 16GB minimum capacity.
Recommendation: Transcend 64GB Flash Memory Card
REQUIRED: Professional Stereo Headphones – All DMA students are required to have their own professional stereo headphones that enclose the ear. Ear buds and hobbyist headphones are unacceptable for developing critical listening required in freshman-level audio classes.
Significant discounts on Microsoft, Adobe, and other brands of software (for Windows and Mac) are available through the University's purchase program. The discounts are up to 75% off the purchase price through a normal computer vendor. To log in, use your Huntington University email address.
Huntington University Applestore
Visit the Huntington University Applestore for discounts on Apple hardware and software.
Autodesk Education Community
Students can now acquire a free, 36-month license through Autodesk for applications such as Maya and Mudbox.
Log on to the Student Portal for additional discounts.