Admission to the Education Department
- Take the CASA (Core Academic Skills Assessment) tests in reading, writing, & math
- Meet State requirements for Admission
- ACT score of 24 or higher (Math, Reading, Grammar, and Science)
- SAT Critical Reading and Math score:
- 1100 or higher prior to 03/01/2016
- 1170 or higher after 03/01/2016
- Make sure you have an adviser in the Education Department.
- Enroll in Introduction to Education ED212
- Apply to the Teacher Education Program
- Complete a criminal background check
- Interview with members of the Teacher Education Committee (TEC)
- TEC will look at your
- GPA (2.5 or higher)
- CASA scores (see below) or State requirements as stated above
- and interview results
- TEC will meet to decide each applicant's status: accept, defer, or reject
- Check with the Education Department secretary if you have doubts about your acceptance status in an education program.
- Enroll in elementary junior block courses or secondary major courses and Secondary Methods and Curriculum
- Register to take the Indiana Core Assessment (both Content and Pedagogy tests). You must be registered to take the Indiana Core Assessment tests prior to being placed for Student Teaching.
- Apply to Student Teach
- Enroll in Multicultural January Term course
- Student Teach
- Make sure the Indiana Core Assessment test (Content and Pedagogy) scores meet state criteria for teacher licensing
- Apply for Indiana teaching license (see Registrar)
For more complete program requirements see the Education Department Student Handbook.