Admissions Information

Admissions Policies and Procedures

Application for admission is your first step toward becoming a part of the Huntington University's Graduate and Online Programs (HUGO). You may visit the University web site for information and an application form at The Graduate and Online Programs Office of Admissions may be reached at 260-359-4111 or e-mail

For admission requirements specific to your intended program, see that program's section of the academic catalog.

Huntington University admits individuals of any race to all the rights, privileges, programs and activities accorded or made available to every student and does not discriminate on the basis of race, class, sex or age in the administration of its educational policies, admission policies, scholarship and loan policies and athletic and other administrative programs.

Transfer Students

In Online Programs, courses with a grade of or above are transferable. Graduate programs and some majors in Online Programs require a higher minimum grade for transfer work. Only those courses which are appropriate to programs offered at Huntington will be transferred. The program director will determine which courses meet Huntington requirements in specific majors and general education based on appropriate relevant materials provided by the student. Work completed more than ten years prior to a student’s date of graduation is subject to review by the registrar and the directors of the appropriate program to determine whether those credits will count toward graduation. For transfer policies specific to your intended program, see that program's section of the academic catalog.

When a student who has completed coursework at another college transfers to Huntington, only credits are transferred; no transfer grades are recorded nor counted in the cumulative grade point average. 

When a student who is regularly enrolled at Huntington enrolls as a transient student at another institution and takes coursework that has been approved by the Huntington registrar, the grade as well as course credit is listed on the student’s Huntington transcript and calculated in the cumulative grade index. Grades are not transferred for coursework taken before a student enrolls at Huntington or when the student is not a continuing student, as when a student transfers out for a semester and returns to Huntington. Credit awarded by another institution on the basis of an examination or proficiency test is not transferable to Huntington University. Credit for AP, CLEP and DSST examinations taken prior to enrollment is awarded by Huntington University only after the  student has enrolled and after the University has evaluated an official score report.

Undergraduate transfer students whose cumulative GPA is less than 2.0, or who are on academic probation at the most recent institution attended as a full-time student, may be admitted on probation, provided the student would have been regularly admitted on the basis of the high school or college record. Such students must obtain a C average in their first semester at Huntington to be removed from probation and be permitted to continue their enrollment.

A transfer student released from another post-secondary institution for poor scholarship may be admitted on probation after at least one semester has elapsed between the student’s release and the admission to Huntington provided the student would have been regularly admitted on the basis of the high school record. However, based on an evaluation of the admissions committee, such a student may be conditionally admitted on probation if there is promise of success at Huntington but may be limited to less than full-time attendance until the student has completed 12 or more hours with a 2.0 cumulative GPA at Huntington. Subsequent action for release from probation or for dismissal will follow regulations for regularly enrolled students.

Transfer students follow regular admissions procedures. An official transcript of his or her post-secondary record is requested by the student to be sent from the registrar of that institution to the Huntington University Office of Admissions. Attendance at all previous institutions must be reported on the application; fraudulent or incomplete information about one’s previous academic record will subject the individual’s admission decision to review for possible immediate dismissal.

Prior Education and Training of Veterans

Huntington University requires veterans who have previous education and training to request transcripts from all prior institutions, including military training, traditional college coursework, and vocational training. Previous transcripts will be evaluated, and credit will be granted, as appropriate.

Transient Students

Students who are regularly enrolled at another post-secondary institution may earn a limited number of credits at Huntington University to apply toward their degree program at the other institution. Transient students do not need to make a formal application for admission provided they secure a statement from the registrar of the institution to which they wish to transfer their credits certifying that those credits apply towards their anticipated degree. Such transient students may take courses in summer session or during the semester when it is convenient to their programs. Transient students may not take courses in the Occupational Therapy program.


Students who interrupt their enrollment for one or more semesters must apply for readmission. Students in continuous enrollment covering a number of years may graduate under the Catalog requirements that were enforced at the time of the initial registration, provided the enrollment period does not extend beyond seven years. Students who interrupt their enrollment will graduate according to the Catalog under which they return.

Work completed more than ten years prior to a student’s date of graduation is subject to review by the registrar and the director of the student's intended program to determine whether those credits will count toward graduation. 

Some graduate programs have more rigorous standards for program completion time. Please review the catalog section related to your intended program.