Academic Policies

Grading System

The University uses a traditional grading system based on the four-point scale. Letter grades may carry plus and minus marks that are computed in the grade point average. The interpretation of letter grades is as follows:

Grade Description
AExcellent Achievement
BCommendable Achievement
CSatisfactory Achievement
DUnsatisfactory Achievement
WFWithdrawn Failing
WMWithdrawn Medical
AURecord of Audit

Only courses for which grades of A to D and S are earned are granted credit, and only courses for which grades A to F are earned are awarded grade points and used in the calculation of grade point averages. The following scale is used in assigning grade points. Each credit hour earns the grade points shown.

GradeGrade Points

The grade point average (GPA) is an index of academic achievement in work taken at Huntington and is computed as the average of grade points earned in courses for which grades A to F were given. Grade point averages are calculated to the nearest thousandth and are never rounded up.

The Incomplete

An Incomplete (I) is given when some portion of a course requirement essential to receiving credit for the course has not been completed. The I must be removed by midterm of the following semester. Failure to fulfill this requirement in the time allowed will result in a grade of F.

A grade of Incomplete in regular courses is given only under the most compelling circumstances. Lack of adequate time to complete course requirements is ordinarily not sufficient cause to grant an unless there has been a serious illness or other extenuating circumstances which directly affect the completion of requirements.

Requests for an Incomplete are to be initiated by the students, supported by the course instructors and approved by the directors of the appropriate programs before the end of the semester.

Any Incomplete carried into a semester and completed in that semester becomes a part of the cumulative record reviewed at the end of that semester. If a grade is reported which replaces an I prior to the beginning of the semester, the registrar will compute the grade index and show the work as having been completed.

Repeating a Course

Students in the Online Programs may repeat courses in which they have received an unsatisfactory grade of DF or U. With the permission of the Online Programs director, they may also repeat courses in which they have received a grade of C or above.

Students in the Graduate Programs (with the exception of the OTD program) must repeat courses in which they have received an unsatisfactory grade of C- or lower. With the permission of the directors of the appropriate programs, they may also repeat courses in which they have received a grade of C or above.

The student registers for the course as a Repeat course and is charged tuition as with any other course. Should the student be unable to schedule a required course to be repeated before graduation, it may be necessary to arrange to take the course by tutorial instruction which will incur an additional charge.

Although both grade entries become part of the permanent record, only the Repeat course counts as credit toward graduation and is used in computing the cumulative grade point average.

Students in the Doctorate in Occupational Therapy program are not allowed to repeat courses. Students who either earn a course grade below C- or who earn more than nine semester hours with a grade of C+C, or C- will be dismissed from the program.

Graduate Courses for Undergraduate Students

With the approval of the student's academic advisor and the graduate program director, an undergraduate student of at least junior status with academic credentials consistent with graduate program admissions requirements may take up to twelve total credits of graduate level coursework from approved graduate courses in Huntington University's master's programs in Business Administration, Clinical Mental Health Counseling, Pastoral Leadership, and Education. The graduate credits may be used to fulfill degree requirements when the student enrolls in a Huntington University master's degree program. These graduate credits will count as elective credits in the undergraduate program unless approved by petition supported by the undergraduate department to substitute for an undergraduate course requirement. (Undergraduate courses cannot be used toward meeting graduate degree requirements.) Tuition for graduate courses taken by undergraduates will be charged at the undergraduate rate. Undergraduate students who enroll in graduate courses are required to attend classes synchronously in person, when available, rather than via Zoom or asynchronously.

Independent Studies, Directed Studies and Tutorials

Independent studies, directed studies and tutorials are individually structured courses for students who are not able to take regularly scheduled courses or who are interested in pursuing an academic interest not covered in a regular course.

An independent study allows a student to pursue an academic interest outside the regular curriculum. Its purpose is to supplement the regular approaches of study rather than to substitute for regular curricular offerings. An independent study should be undertaken only by a student who is primarily self-motivated and requires minimal supervision by the faculty member.

directed study is an individualized offering of a regular course, which the student has been unable to schedule but is required in the student's program. Course assignments will be outlined by the faculty member. Periodic meetings will be held between the student and the instructor to review progress and clarify material. If desired the student may request consultation time equal to one-half the hours the regular course would meet in which case it would then be considered a tutorial and the student would be required to pay a tutorial fee per credit hour in addition to regular tuition.

If a student wishes to accelerate his/her degree program or complete additional majors or minors or certifications beyond that required for a degree, the student will pay a tutorial fee if the course cannot be taken when offered.

If a student has failed a regularly offered course or failed to register for the course when it was available, the student is responsible for the course irregularity and will pay a tutorial fee. Other courses may be offered to a student as directed studies when scheduling prevents the student from taking the regular course or from taking an appropriate substitution.

Special paperwork is required for all independent studies, directed studies and tutorials.

Grade Reports and Transcripts

Final semester grades are processed by the Office of the Registrar and are made available to the students on the Huntington University portal at Students who do not have access to the Internet at the time final grades are available may request copies of their grades, in writing, from the Office of the Registrar. Final grades are released to the student only by the Office of the Registrar.

Students, who have met all financial obligations, may obtain official copies of their complete transcripts bearing the seal and validation of the registrar from Parchment. In compliance with Federal law, students are required to submit official requests for each transcript. Students may also print their own unofficial academic records for personal use from the Huntington University portal. The Office of the Registrar cannot issue partial transcripts.

Student Records and Privacy

When a student is enrolled at an institution of higher learning, a substantial amount of personal information and educational data is collected, maintained, used and disseminated. Students are encouraged to review the information available to them on the Internet at Huntington University recognizes and desires to protect the rights of privacy of the student over the age of 18, providing access to his or her educational data and the right to challenge the contents of his 
or her records for inaccurate or misleading information.

In general only those persons directly involved in the educational process have access to the student’s records unless the student gives written permission to release the information. Parents of dependent children have access to academic and disciplinary information. 

Some information has been designated as directory information by the University. The University may release directory information to outside parties without the student’s prior consent. Directory information includes the following: name, identification number, mailing address, e-mail address, home telephone number, date and place of birth, major fields of study, classification, participation in recognized activities and sports, photograph, dates of attendance, full-time and part-time status, eligibility for licensing or certification and degrees and awards received. 

Students may request that directory information not be disclosed by completing a request in the Office of the Registrar. The University maintains a complete policy statement in accord with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, obtainable from the Office of the Registrar.

Classification of Students

Online Programs

Full-time Online Programs students who are pursuing a degree are designated as regular students and classified as freshmen, sophomores, juniors and seniors according to the following:

FreshmanFewer than 26 semester hours earned
Sophomore26 but fewer than 56 hours earned
Junior56 but fewer than 86 hours earned
Senior 86 or more hours earned

Full-time Online Programs students are those enrolled for at least 12 hours in a given semester, and part-time Online Programs students are those enrolled for less than 12 hours.

First-time freshmen are students who have not previously been regularly admitted students in a recognized institution of higher learning during a regular term.

Post-graduate students are those who have already completed a recognized baccalaureate degree and are enrolled in Online Programs courses.

Unclassified students are those whose transfer of credits is incomplete or pending.

Special students are those enrolled as auditors or visitors or taking a credit course but not planning to complete a recognized program of study. A special student application does not require full admission.

ABSN Program

Students in the ABSN program have completed a recognized baccalaureate degree and are designated as post-graduate students.

Full-time ABSN students are those enrolled for at least 12 hours in a given semester, and part-time ABSN students are those enrolled for less than 12 hours.

Graduate Programs

Graduate students are those enrolled in one of the Graduate Programs who have completed a recognized baccalaureate degree. 

Full-time graduate students are those enrolled for at least six hours in a given semester, and half-time graduate students are those enrolled for at least three hours. 

Special graduate students are those who do not meet regular admission requirements or who do not wish to take graduate courses for credit.

Academic Honesty

The academic community places high value on intellectual honesty. Representation of work as one’s own but taken from another source by plagiarism or cheating is a serious offense, the penalty for which will result in failure for the assignment, the exam or the course. Depending on the seriousness of the academic integrity violation, and in the case of a pattern of violations, further penalties may include disciplinary probation, suspension or dismissal from the University.

Plagiarism is the use of the ideas, information or wording of another without proper acknowledgement, leaving the false impression that the material is original with the student. Students will be held responsible for knowing the difference between legitimate and illegitimate use of source material.

Dismissal from University

If students are persistent in behavior contrary to the standards of the University or placed on disciplinary probation during two consecutive semesters or more than twice while enrolled, or is sufficiently disruptive and, in the judgment of the University, threatening to the general welfare of the campus community, the University reserves the right to dismiss the students and to require the immediate vacating of University housing and the campus. Such action to dismiss students is taken only by the president or an official designee. The students concede the right of the University to take such actions when necessary by their acceptance of admission.