Additional Financial Details

Personal Property and Liability

Students who need personal bank accounts are encouraged to use one of the local banks for checking and savings. The University is not responsible for the loss of personal property on the campus by fire or from any other cause. Students are advised to verify insurance coverage that may be extended from parents’ homeowners insurance. Students are responsible for all University property, materials, and equipment issued to them and will be charged for loss or breakage.

Student Health Insurance

International students are required to enroll in the health insurance plan offered by the University. At this time the health insurance is only available to international students.

Clearance to Attend Class

Students whose bills have been paid or who have made appropriate financial arrangements in advance may view and print their class schedules by using the Web site

Until all financial obligations are met, students are not considered CLEARED to begin the semester. Students who are not CLEARED in advance will not be permitted to attend classes.

Payment of Student Accounts

Students may make advance payments to the University on their accounts for the upcoming year from their earnings during the spring and summer months. Funds are held in trust until classes begin and may be withdrawn or transferred by the students.

In July and in November, an official billing is sent to each student for the subsequent semester. Billed expenses are due by August 10 for the fall semester, December 20 for the spring semester, and April 20 for the summer semester. Students are not allowed to begin the semester unless full payment has been received.

Full-time students may make prior arrangements for installment payments through Nelnet Campus Commerce. Students should create their Nelnet Campus Commerce account at their earliest convenience so they can establish their payment plan as early as May 1st for the fall semester and November 1st for the spring semester. The Nelnet Campus Commerce plan enables students to pay their student account balance in installments of four to six months depending on the time of enrollment. There is a small enrollment fee, but there are no monthly interest charges. The Net Amount Due represents the total per semester charges, less any scholarships, grants, or loans confirmed by the Office of Financial Aid but not including estimated awards or anticipated earnings, such as work-study employment, which cannot be considered until they are earned or finalized. The budgeted amount elected under Nelnet Campus Commerce is a term-based plan and should be sufficient to cover either fall or spring semesters. The Nelnet Campus Commerce plan is available only to those who have a U.S. bank account. 

Alternatively, students may choose to arrange private financing for educational expenses through one of several private lenders. The Office of Financial Aid is able to provide information about such lenders.

Unpaid Student Accounts

Students who are delinquent in the settlement of any of their accounts with the University forfeit University privileges, including class attendance, housing, and food. Students whose accounts are not paid in full or otherwise provided for are not issued official transcripts or permitted to register for a new semester. Diplomas are not issued and no official transcripts of credit will be issued until all financial obligations have been cleared.

A service charge of 1.5% or $30, whichever is greater, is added to any unpaid balance in the student account as of the last working day of each month.

GI Bill® Chapter 31 and Chapter 33 Delayed Payment Policy and Overpayment Policy

Any student who is entitled to educational assistance under Chapter 31, Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment, or Chapter 33, Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits are entitled to the following.

Covered students will be permitted to attend or participated in the education during the period beginning on the date on which individual provides to the VA representative a certificate of eligibility for entitlement to educational assistance under Chapter 31 or 33 (a “certificate of eligibility” can also include a “Statement of Benefits” obtained from the Department of Veterans Affairs’ (VA) website e-Benefits, or a VAF 28-1905 form for chapter 31 authorization purposes) and ending on the earlier of the following dates:

  1. The date on which payment from VA is made to the institution.
  2. 90 days after the date the institution certified tuition and fees following the receipt of the certificate of eligibility.

For covered students there will not be any assessment of late fees, the denial of access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities, or the requirement that a covered individual borrow additional funds, on any covered individual because of the individual’s inability to meet his or her financial obligations to the institution due to the delayed disbursement funding from VA under Chapter 31 or 33.

Students who make changes in their schedules or withdraw from classes that result in an overpayment by the VA will be responsible for any balance owed to the University.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).

Refund Policies

Students who officially withdraw from Huntington or who reduce their course credit load (which reduces the tuition to be charged) may be entitled to a refund on the tuition paid for courses dropped, according to the schedule shown below. Before the official beginning of classes, full tuition is refunded. For withdrawal after the beginning of classes, the date for any refund is the official date of withdrawal based on whether that official date falls within the specified week or day below.  

SemesterSummerTuition Refund
First Week*First Class Day90%
Second WeekSecond Class Day80%
Third WeekThird Class Day60%
Fourth WeekFourth Class Day40%
Fifth WeekFifth Class Day20%
After these weeks or days None
*including at least second class session in a regular semester

No refund of activity fees, lab fees, or other fees is made after the first week of classes. Students who have been dismissed may not appeal for refund of tuition. Students who are called to active military duty and withdraw from classes at any point in the term will receive a refund of 100% of tuition and fees. Housing and food (meal plan) refunds are calculated as described below.

Housing refund follows the same schedule and policies above.

Food (Meal Plan) refund is provided at 90% of the unused full weeks remaining in the term.

Students considering reducing their status from full time to part time (less than 12 hours) should discuss those plans with the Office of Financial Aid since most financial assistance is available only to full-time students. If students withdraw or are dismissed, scholarships and grants are prorated to the tuition charged. University scholarships and grants may be recomputed and the students charged for the unpaid cost.

Students receiving Federal Title IV Student Financial Assistance may be entitled to a refund in accordance with the Federal Refund Policy or the Federal Statutory Pro Rata Refund Policy. All refund distributions will be made according to Federal laws and regulations. Students with questions regarding these policies should contact the Office of Financial Aid.

Refund Policies for Online Courses

Students who withdraw prior to the beginning of the course will receive a 100% tuition refund as long as they have not entered the course web site and then withdraw. Students who participate in any manner on the course web site then withdraw within the first week of the course will receive a 40% tuition refund. After the first week of participation, no refund will be allowed.

No refund of laboratory fees is made after the first week of classes. Students who have been dismissed may not appeal for refund of tuition. Students who are called to active military duty and withdraw from classes at any point in the term will receive a refund of 100% tuition and fees.

Credit Balance Refund Policy

Huntington University's policy is to resolve eligible credit balances in student accounts as promptly as possible in compliance with applicable regulations. Students can determine the balance in their accounts by logging into the HU Student Portal at any time in the semester. 

A credit balance results when the total of the credits posted to a student account (payments, loan disbursements, scholarships, etc.) exceeds the total of the charges applied. 

A credit balance eligible for a refund is one where all the applicable charges and credits have posted to the student account and the eligibility for such funds has been confirmed and adjusted based upon current eligibility, including enrollment or any other applicable conditions. 

Accounts of students on a Payment Plan are not eligible for a refund unless the Payment Plan has been completed and paid in full and payments exceed the applicable charges. 

Types of Student Account Credit Balances and Refunds

Credit balances may be related to payments from a variety of sources, including but not limited to, personal funds, Title IV Federal Student Aid, non-federal aid funds (such as private loans and grants), HU institutional aid, and other external awards. 

Credit balances may also be related to and affected by changes in the enrollment status of students during a term or semester. 

Credit Balances and Refunds Due to Federal (Title IV) Financial Aid

The University will credit Title IV federal aid funds to a student account only against allowable institutional charges, including current charges for tuition, fees, housing, and food. Credit balances related to Title IV federal aid funds, per federal regulations, must be refunded no later than 14 days after the date the credit balance occurred on the student account. Title IV credits may not be applied to any other charges without written authorization. 

Huntington University will not hold Title IV financial aid for more than the 14-day period. If students would like to use Title IV funds to apply toward bookstore charges, library fees, parking fees, etc., they must notify the Office of Student Accounts within 14 calendar days using the appropriate request form and provide authorization for the University to utilize Title IV funds for these purposes. After 14 calendar days, any remaining Title IV credit will be provided to the students.

Credit Balances and Refunds Due to Overpayment or Other, Non-Federal Student Aid Funds

If students or parents overpay a student account, or if a credit balance is created from a non-Title IV aid source, such as from institutional aid, private student loans, outside scholarships, or other non-Title-IV aid, credit balances will be refunded to students after all fees and charges have been paid in full (including course fees, bookstore charges, library fees, uniform fees, parking fees, etcetera). Written authorization is not required to apply non-Title IV student aid funds to all charges and costs owed to HU by students. 

To receive a refund of non-Title IV aid, students must request a refund. If students do not request a refund of these charges, the funds will remain on their student account and will be rolled into future semester costs and refunded once students cease enrollment with the University. The University will not owe interest on any funds students choose to roll into a future semester. 

How to Request a Refund from Non-Title IV Aid

To request a refund from non-Title IV aid, students may choose to complete the request form located at Upon receipt of this form, students will receive a check for the requested refund amount within 14 calendar days. Students may also choose to withdraw up to $200 per week from their student account in cash through the HU Cashier, located in Becker Hall. 

Sponsored (Third-Party) Billing

For students who are sponsored by a third party for whom the University is billing, the refund may be sent to the sponsoring organization, depending on the conditions of sponsorship.